The benefits of good nutrition starts on the inside and shows on the outside! Not only does clean eating make you feel good, help you to maintain your weight, give you the energy to maximize your workouts, but it also gives your skin the healthy glow we are all hoping for! I am not one to accept “it’s hereditary” or “it’s in my genes.” Yes, there are some things we can’t control, but there is a lot we can! I am not suggesting that we can change our DNA or completely get rid of stress in out lives, but we certainly can focus on eating healthy foods that will contribute to amazing looking skin!!
Here are 7 Super Foods that will invite comments like “WOW, your skin looks amazing,” or “You look 10 years younger. What is your secret?” or even, “What are you doing differently? Are you using those super expensive skin products?” Your answer, “Nope, just eating clean, thanks!”
The list includes some veggies that encourage healthy looking skin, but don’t stop with the ones I have listed. Remember my mantra, “Veggies all day, everyday,” and attempt to “eat the colors of the rainbow everyday!”
- Kale: filled with vitamins A, C and E – all have anti-aging properties and will aid in promoting healthy new cell growth. Also, kale is an excellent source of magnesium and calcium – a must for healthy skin.
- Seaweed: Don’t knock it until you try it. I am not asking you to run to the beach and scoop some seaweed off the sand – head to your local health food store and look for a salad with seaweed or add spirulina to your next smoothie. This nutrient-rich algae is full of vitamin B and high in minerals such as iron – this allows healthy blood flow, which contributes to radiant skin.
- Cucumber: A crowd pleaser, this is one of the veggies that is not easy to keep in my house. In salads, a staple on every crudité plate or a great after school snack dipped in ranch (organic or homemade of course) or hummus! Hydration is key when it comes to youthful skin.
- Pumpkin seeds: These vitamin B and biotin packed seeds are essential for strengthening hair, nails and skin. Also high in zinc, which is one of the main minerals that one needs to ward off acne. Pumpkin seeds are a great addition to any salad, homemade granola or trail mix!
- Chia Seeds: AHHHH, one of my fav’s of all time. These powerful little seeds have more benefits than I have space to write about, but when it comes to skin care, Chia seeds are a great source of essential fatty acids that nourish both your skin and your scalp. I really can’t think of any occasion where chia seeds are not welcome, breakfast, lunch and dinner, just sprinkle away! Note: best to soak before consuming.
- Lemons: This bright & beautiful flavorful fruit is not only the best way to start your day when squeezed into warm water for a healthy digestive system, but it is high in vitamin C to support skin collagen. Like Chia seeds, I am hard pressed to think about anything a lemon does not enhance (well, other than my coffee!)
- Cabbage: Last, but certainly not least, this fabulous veggie for the most part does not get much fanfare, but in reality, totally deserves it! Cabbage is high in fiber and contains sulforaphane, a compound that promotes anti-aging! A great addition to a salad, burger (coleslaw) or stir-fry!
So whether you are a teen battling acne, or you are ‘maturing’ like myself and hoping to keep your skin looking as young as possible, clean eating will support your goals.
Eat Real Food! It’s a Lifestyle!
The Benefits Of Lemon Water In The Morning (And How To Make It)
via Health Ambition
After an indulgent festive season, many of us are thinking about losing weight and getting healthier. Pick up any magazine in January and you will inevitably find features on detoxing and dieting. But what is detoxing, how do you do it, and does it work? Detoxes are nothing new.